If a second quarter, 2016 profit of a whopping $2 billion is anything to go by, the social media behemoth that is Facebook continues to dominate the market, and with pace (just another lazy two billion only six months after crossing the billion dollar earnings mark, no biggy!)
With earnings smashed and stocks soaring, now is a good time to have a look at some interesting stats about our favourite social media platform:
- Facebook continues to hold the title of Australia’s number one social platform with 15 million users as of June 2016.
- 1.71 billion monthly users and 1.13 million daily users, worldwide.
- Facebook’s global ad revenue is expected to total $23.31 billion this year, making Facebook the largest ad publisher after Google.
- Mobile advertising accounts for 84% of Facebook’s total ad revenue.
- Globally, each Facebook user will generate an estimated $15.83 for the social media giant this year.
- Average ad click through rate on Facebook is 0.9%.
- Facebook claimed 19% of the $70 billion spent on mobile advertising worldwide in 2015.
- Time spent on Facebook per user, per day: 20+ minutes.
- 1 billion people are now using Facebook Messenger.
- 38.6% of the world’s online population use Facebook.
- 6.6 million Australian Facebook users are male. (47%) 7.5 million Australian Facebook users are female. (53%)
- Women aged 25-34 are the largest demographic of Australian Facebook users with 1.9 million active users.
- Western Australia has 1.5 million active users, fourth most in the country.
- 823 million users worldwide are mobile only.
- Facebook adds 500,000 new users every day which equates to six new profiles every second.
- Users generate 4.5 million Likes every minute, worldwide.
- 10 billion Facebook messages are sent every day.
- 250 billion photos have been uploaded to Facebook, roughly 350 million per day.
- There are 8 billion video views on Facebook every day.
- Facebook native videos receive almost 70% more reach and double the engagement of YouTube links.
- 65% of brand video posts are now using Facebook native video.
- Most Liked brands on Facebook as of June 2016: Yellow Tail, McDonalds and Lorna Jane.
- There are 500 million Facebook Events users worldwide.
- 1.5 billion daily searches on Facebook, worldwide.
- Average monthly users for the “Save For Later” feature: 250 million.
- Average number of daily visitors to the “On This Day” feature: 155 million.
- “Haha” is more popular than “LOL”: with 51.4% of expressions of laughter on Facebook containing the former, and only 1.9% the latter.
- 67% of Facebook users use the platform as a news source.
- 48% of content shared on Facebook, worldwide, are selfies.
- Hot Topics from early 2016 include: Valentine’s Day, Friends Day, Malcolm Turnbull, Donald Trump, Senator Bernie Sanders, Deadpool, FarmVille, NBA and the SuperBowl.
SocialMediaNews.com.au for June 2016.