As we have continually reported over the last couple of months – social media growth in Australia has slowed for the majority of networks.
Many of the smaller networks in Australia (ranking >10) have static growth or are indeed shrinking over time. For example over the last 4 years MySpace has lost hundreds of thousands of users and is no longer used by the general population. This is only one example of an older social network losing their user base.
We are now seeing social media applications gain more traction than tradition social network websites. A new application that has received a fair amount of popularity and PR over the last month is a new geo-dating app, Happn. Along with Tinder many Australian’s find these new age social media application more enticing than traditional social networks.
Social Media Statistics Australia – June 2015
1. Facebook – 14,000,000 users (steady)
2. YouTube – 13,800,000 UAVs
3. WordPress.com – 5,700,000
4. Instagram – 5,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (Facebook/ Instagram data)
5. Tumblr – 4,400,000
6. LinkedIn – 3,600,000
7. Blogspot – 2,750,000
8. Twitter – 2,791,300 Active Australian Users (see calculation)
9. WhatsApp – 2,400,000 Active Australian Users (see calculation)
10. TripAdvisor – 2,150,000
11. Snapchat – 2,000,000 approx Monthly Active Australian Users (see calculation below)
12. Tinder – 1,500,000 Australian users (my estimation)
13. Yelp – 1,500,000
14. Flickr – 650,000
15. Pinterest – 325,000
16. Reddit – 145,000
17. MySpace – 95,000
18. Google Plus – approx 60,000 monthly active Australian users (my estimation *revised*)
19. StumbleUpon – 47,000
20. Foursquare/Swarm – 24,000
21. Digg – 17,500
22. Delicious – 15,000
(All figures represent the number of Unique Australian Visitors [UAVs] to that website over the monthly period – unless otherwise stated above).
Facebook in Australia 2015
As of the first quarter of 2015 – Facebook reported the service has 1.44 billion monthly active users.
In Australia we have 14,000,000 monthly active users or 0.97% of the total Facebook population (approximately 1% of the Facebook population is Australian).
Snapchat in Australia 2015
Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel recently told the ReCode Conference the service now has 100 million daily active users as of May 2015. Many industry commentators have mentioned that the monthly active user figure is more likely to now be around 200 million users.
If we use the Facebook formulae that 1% of this worldwide audience is Australian – this gives us 2 million monthly active Australian Snapchat users.
Key Points to Note:
- The 3 social networks reporting consistent growth are Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat. Whilst Facebook hasn’t seen a growth of users in Australia this month – the long term trend is for continued growth. The same can be said for Instagram’s user growth.
- Snapchat’s appeal and simple service has not worn off and over the last year has added around 1 million active Australian users.
- The Social Media Application scene is still hot – we are constantly seeing new apps created and gain considerable traction in Australia. Over the last couple of months this includes Wickr (secure messaging app) and Happn (geo-dating app).