Here are 20 fast facts about the world’s go-to social platform for real-time and guerrilla marketers:
- Twitter clocked approximately 2.8 million monthly, active Australian users as of June 2016.
- A total of 1.3 billion accounts have been created worldwide.
- 80% of Twitter users are accessing the platform on mobile devices.
- Twitter’s penetration ranks behind the other networks, however people on Twitter use it the most frequently of any platform (35 times/week versus 32 times/week for Facebook).
- Tweets with images receive 150% more retweets than those without.
- Largest audience in Australia goes to 5 Seconds of Summer (5SOS) with 9.33 million followers; then Cody Simpson with 7.772 million and Luke Hemmings with 7.45 million.
- Journalists make up 24.6% of verified accounts.
- 83% of the world’s leaders are on Twitter.
- 500 million tweets sent every day. That’s 6,000 every second!
- The most retweeted Tweet (the group selfie Ellen took at the Golden Globes that time) has 3.33 million retweets.
- 77% of Twitter users feel more positive about a brand when their Tweet is replied to (naturally!).
- 58% of top brands have over 100,000 followers.
- 92% of companies Tweet more than once a day; 42% Tweet one to five times, and 19% six to 10 times a day.
- The average Twitter user follows five businesses.
- 80% of users have mentioned a brand in a Tweet!
- The last two years has seen a 2.5 times increase in customer service conversations on Twitter.
- 42% of users learn about products and services via Twitter; 41% provide opinions about products/services and 19% seek customer support.
- 60% of consumers expect brands to respond to their Tweeted query within the hour. The average response time is one hour and 24 minutes.
- 53% of Twitter users never post any updates. Even though half your customers may not be tweeting or retweeting, they ARE watching, reading, and clicking!
- Fastest growing profiles in Australia include: 5SOS, Michael Clifford (5SOS), Ash XX and Hugh Jackman.
SocialMediaNews.com.au for June 2016