Here’s the monthly report showing the most popular social networking sites used by Australian users over November 2016.
There has been some important news lately where Snapchat announced there are now 4 million Daily Active Snapchat Users in Australia.
Whilst Facebook and Instagram have been shameless about copying Snapchat’s features including stories and live video – Snapchat continues to attract a highly engaged and growing audience in Australia and worldwide.
Over the past couple of years we have partnered with many event and conference companies to promote some of Australia’s most important social media events. Check out the schedule to see if there is an event near you soon.
Social Media Statistics Australia – November 2016
1. Facebook – 15,000,000 users (steady)
2. YouTube – 14,650,000 UAVs
3. WordPress.com – 5,250,000
4. Instagram – 5,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (Facebook/ Instagram data)
5. Snapchat – 4,000,000 DAILY Active Australian Users (Snapchat data)
6. Tumblr – 4,000,000
7. LinkedIn – 3,600,000
8. WhatsApp – 3,100,000 Active Australian Users (30% increase since 2015)
9. Twitter – 2,800,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
10. TripAdvisor – 2,700,000
11. Tinder – 2,000,000 Australian users (my estimation)
12. Blogspot- 1,750,000
13. Yelp – 1,600,000
14. Flickr – 520,000
15. Pinterest – 280,000
16. Reddit – 100,000
17. MySpace – 80,000
18. Google Plus – 60,000 monthly active Australian users approx (my estimation *revised*)
19. StumbleUpon – 40,000
20. Foursquare/Swarm – 13,000
21. Digg – 12,000
22. Periscope – 9,500
23. Delicious – 9,000
(All figures represent the number of Unique Australian Visitors [UAVs] to that website over the monthly period – unless otherwise stated above).
Australian Population on Facebook
According to the ABS Population Clock – there are approximately 24,250,000 Australian citizens.
Of this number, there are 15,000,000 monthly active users on Facebook.
Therefore approximately 61% of the total Australian population is an active monthly user on Facebook.
Snapchat Population on Facebook
As we’ve compared the Facebook market penetration to the general public, it’s worth nothing that 1 in 6 Australians use Snapchat on a daily basis.
Considering 2 years ago the product was virtually unheard of, this is a great achievement by Snapchat.
Key Points to Note:
- 61% of the total Australian population is an active monthly user on Facebook.
- 1 in 6 Australians are a Daily User on Snapchat.
- As we come into the summer months we seen travel related social networking sites like TripAdvisor increase in visitors.
- Twitter has experienced stagnant user growth over the past 2 years and a considerable churn rate of new users signing up then never using the service consistently.
- Blogging is slowly decreasing in popularity.
- Google Plus also has stagnant growth and the service hasn’t increased it’s Australian user base for sometime as they attract 60,000 monthly Australian users.