Looking for up to date Social Media Stats? Check out our 2020 Facts & Figures.
Whether you’re relatively new to social media, or you’ve been active since Myspace was the biggest social media platform around, one thing has always intrigued us – statistics.
To ensure you have the newest information available to help your band grow, we’ve developed a mammoth list of 101 new statistics for 2019.
Social media statistics can help drive our strategy and allow us to gain a greater understanding about the way our followers behave and engage with content online.
Without further ado, here are 101 new social media statistics for 2019.
General Statistics for 2019
- Digital consumers spend nearlyÂ 2.5 hoursÂ on social networks and social messaging every day.
- 69% of American adults use at least one social media site.
- The average U.S Internet user has 7.1 social media accounts.
- 88% of American 18- to 29-year-oldsÂ use social media.
- 51% of 18- to 24-year-oldsÂ say social media would be hard to give up.
- 16 million Australians use Facebook
- 25% of internet users are using voice search or voice commands.
- Stories are set toÂ outpace feeds in 2019.
- Almost 1 billion people use stories across WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat.
- Stories are growing 15 times faster than feed-based sharing.
- 80% of major brands now use stories on at least one social network.
- Facebook hasÂ 2.32 billion monthly active usersÂ as of December 2018, an increase of 9% from the previous year. It remains the top-ranked social platform.
- 150 million peopleÂ use Facebook StoriesÂ daily.
- In the United States,Â 169.5 millionÂ people use Facebook, an increase of 0.9% from 2017.
- On Facebook, the number of users aged 65 and up hasÂ doubled since 2012. 41% of U.S seniors now use the social network.
- Use among U.S. teenagers isÂ shrinking, from a high of 71% in 2014-15 to 51% in spring 2018.
- 68% of U.S. adultsÂ use Facebook, most of them daily.
- 74% of U.S. womenÂ use Facebook, compared to 62% of U.S. men.
- 76.9%Â of mobile Facebook users access the network on an Android device, compared to 14.1% using an Apple device.
- Facebook is the second-most popular site in the world, behind only Google, and boasts an average time per visit of 10:57.
- The average reach of a post isÂ 8%Â of total page likes.
- The average Facebook engagement rate for all types of page posts isÂ 3.75%
Below are the accounts who have the most followers on Facebook:
- Cristiano Ronaldo – (122.1m likes)
- Shakira – (104.6m likes)
- Vin Diesel – (101.6m likes)
- Eminem – (90.4m likes)
- Leo Messi (89m likes)
- Roughly halfÂ of U.S. users are between the ages of 18 and 34.
- 39% of womenÂ and 30% of men use Instagram in the U.S.
- Instagram became theÂ top platform for teenagersÂ in Fall 2018, when it surpassed Snapchat for the first time:Â 72%Â of U.S. teens now use Instagram.
- 60% of usersÂ visit Instagram daily, and 38% visit multiple times per day.
- Instagram was theÂ second-most downloaded iOS appÂ in 2018.
- #Fortnite was theÂ fastest growing hashtagÂ in 2018.
- Instagram has more thanÂ 25 millionÂ business profiles.
- 74% of businessesÂ worldwide use Instagram.
- 80% of Instagram users followÂ at least one business on Instagram, and more than 200 million people visit at least one business profile every day.
- A third of the most viewed Instagram stories are from businesses.
- 60% of Instagram users claim theyâ€™ve discoveredÂ at least one new productÂ on the platform.
Below are the accounts with the most followers on Instagram:
- Instagram – @instagram (290m followers)
- Cristiano Ronaldo – @cristiano (160m followers)
- Ariana Grande – @arianagrande (150m followers)
- Selena Gomez – @selenagomez (148m followers)
- The Rock – @therock (137m followers)
- RoughlyÂ 45% of YouTube usersÂ access the platform daily, and 29% visit multiple times per day.
- YouTube users watch more than a billion hours of video per day.
- 70% of millenial YouTube usersÂ have used YouTube to learn how to do something new.
- 21% of American adults get at least some of their news from YouTube.
- More thanÂ 70% of YouTube watchtimeÂ comes from from mobile devices.
- People watched more thanÂ 50,000 years of product review videosÂ over the last two years.
- YouTube is the second-ranked social platform worldwide.
- YouTube was theÂ most-downloaded iOS appÂ in 2018.
- 94%Â of U.S. 18- to 24-year olds use YouTube, and 73% of all U.S. adults.
- YouTube is the top social site for U.S. teens:Â 85% of themÂ use the service.
- 40% of U.S. seniorsÂ use YouTube. Only Facebook outranks YouTube in this age category.
Below are the most viewed videos on YouTube:
- Luis Fonsi – Despacito Feat. Daddy Yankee (5.97b views)
- Ed Sheeran – Shape of You (4.07b views)
- Wiz Khalifa – See You Again Feat. Charlie Puth (4.01b)
- Mark Ronson – Uptown Funk Feat. Bruno Mars (3.46b)
- Masha and the Bear – Recipe for Disaster (3.45b)
- RoughlyÂ 63% of Snapchat usersÂ access the platform daily, and 41% do so multiple times per day.
- In fact, the average daily active Snapchatter opens the appÂ more than 20 times a dayÂ and spends an average ofÂ 30 minutesÂ in the app each day.
- Users postÂ more than 3 billionÂ Snaps every day.
- Snapchat was theÂ third-most-downloaded iOS appÂ in 2018.
- 78% of Americans between the ages of 18 and 24Â use Snapchat.
- Use drops with age: 54% of those between the ages of 25 and 29 use the app, and 25% of those between 30 and 49.
- 1.5 million businessesÂ worldwide use Pinterest.
- 83%Â of weekly Pinterest users have made a purchase based on brand Pins.
- 77%Â of Pinners have discovered a new brand or product on the network.
- 84%Â of Pinners use Pinterest when trying to decide what to buy.
- 66% of Pinterest usersÂ use the network to find last-minute holiday gift ideas.
- There are more thanÂ 175 billion pinsÂ on Pinterest, an increase of 75% since early 2017.
- 80% of Pinterest usersÂ access the network on mobile devices.
- Pinterest remains more popular with women,Â as 41% of women use the platform, compared to just 16% of men.
- Pinterest is used byÂ 34%Â of Americans aged 18-49.
- 62% of businessesÂ use LinkedIn, but 86% of B2B companies use the network.
- There are more thanÂ 30 million companies on LinkedIn, with more than 20 million open jobs.
- TheÂ top priorityÂ for businesses using LinkedIn in 2019 is to drive more leads (63%).
- 90%Â of LinkedIn users say they are open to the right job opportunity.
- 57%Â of LinkedIn traffic comes from a mobile device.
- LInkedIn feeds see more thanÂ 9 billion content impressionsÂ per week.
- LinkedIn is especially popular among high-income earners and college graduates.Â About 50% of degree holders use LinkedIn, compared with just 9% of those with a high school diploma or less.
- LinkedIn usersÂ includeÂ 10 million C-level executives, 3 million MBA graduates, and 6 million IT decision-makers.
- Twitter hasÂ 321 millionÂ monthly active users. This is a decline of 3% from 330 million users in 2017.
- However, the number of users in the United StatesÂ grew slightlyÂ in 2018, to 55.2 million.
- Roughly 46% of Twitter usersÂ visit the platform daily, and 26% visit multiple times per day.
- Users post aboutÂ 500 million tweets per day.
- 71% of Twitter users get at leastÂ some of their newsÂ from the platform.
- 125 million hashtagsÂ were shared every day in 2018.
- Twitter hasÂ 1.2 billionÂ total video views per day.
- 93%Â of of those video views are on mobile devices.
- Tweets with video getÂ 10 timesÂ more engagement than those without. They are alsoÂ 6 timesÂ more likely to be retweeted.
- Tweets with GIFs getÂ 55% moreÂ engagement than those without. However, onlyÂ 2% of Tweetscontain GIFs.
Below are the accounts with the most followers on Twitter:
- Katy Perry (107.5mÂ followers)
- Barack Obama (106.4mÂ followers)
- Justin Bieber (105.7m followers)
- Rihanna (91.3m followers)
- Taylor Swift (83.4mÂ followers)