23rd June 2019
No matter what you use social media for, there’s nothing like some fresh statistics to help drive your strategy!
Here at #SMPerth, we love stats and we figure you do to! So without further due, here are some of the best social media stats for 2019
- 45% of the total world population are using social networks. Crazy, right!?
- 366 million people started using social media in the past year.
- More than 5 billion people now use mobile phones.
- The average American Internet user has 7.1 social media accounts.
Brands on Social Media
- 90% of brands use social media to develop brand awareness.
- 28% of marketers implement social commerce or are planning toin the next year.
- 77% of brands expect their use of social media to increase.
- Most businesses maintain between 4 – 10 social media profiles.
- 53% of businesses use social advertising.
- Social media ad spend in 2019 is expected to be close to $93 billion!
- 7 million businesses use paid advertising on Facebook and 2 million businesses use paid advertising on Instagram.
- The average American Facebook user clicks on 8 Facebook ads each month.
- Half of Generation Z and 42% or Millenials describe social media is the most relevant ad channel.
Stories Reign Supreme
- Close to 1 billion people use stories across WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat.
- Stories are increasing 15 times faster than feed-based sharing.
- 80% of major brands now use stories on at least one social network.
- Instagram now has 1 billion active monthly users.
- 72% of US teenagers say they use Instagram, up from 52% in 2015.
- There has been a 7% increase since 2016 for the amount of adults now using Insta.
- Instagram crushes Facebook for engagement with an averafge of 1.60% per post for brands.
- For marketers, Instagram is still second place to Facebook with 83% of them using the platform.
- But, ad spending is 23% higher on Instagram than on Facebook.
- More than 100 million photos and videos are uploaded daily.
- More than 2 billion likes happen on Instagram every day!
- Videos get 21.2% more interactions compared to images and 18.6% more interactions compared to carousels.
- Facebook has 2.32 billion monthly active users as of December 2018.
- This is an increase of 9% from the previous year. It is still the top-ranked social platform.
- 150 million people use Facebook Stories daily.
- In the United States, 169.5 million people use Facebook, an increase of 0.9% from 2017.
- Facebook usage among adults in the US has remained more or less the same. 68% of US adults claimed to use Facebook in 2018, which is the exact number of US adult Facebook users reported in 2016.
- 3/4 of these current users access the platform on a daily basis.
- Facebook usage among teens is dropping gradually according to the latest social media statistics. While 71% of teens claimed to use the platform in a 2015, the number has now dropped to 51%.
- Facebook is the second favorite platform for consuming videos after YouTube. 40% of consumers said that they watch the most videos on Facebook.
- Twitter is more popular than Instagram for social advertises, with 88% of social media advertises using Twitter.
- Twitter earned $665 million in revenue during the first quarter of 2018 – a 21% increase form the previous year. Who says Twitter is dead!?
- $575 million of this total revenue came from ads and half of this ad revenue came from videos.
- Between May and June of 2018, Twitter suspended more than 70 million fake and suspicious profiles.
- There are currently 326 million monthly active users on the platform.
- More than 500 million tweets are sent out every day.
- LinkedIn has 590 million users.
- 260 million of all users are active on a monthly basis.
- LinkedIn performs 277% better than Facebook and Twitter when it comes to generating visitor-to-lead conversions.
- 80% of social media B2B leads come from LinkedIn.
- The three major platforms–Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn contributed to 90% of social traffic to B2B blogs and sites. And the platform was responsible for half of that traffic.
- 91% of executives believe that LinkedIn is the top choice for professionally relevant content.
- 89% of B2B marketers include LinkedIn in their digital marketing mix.
- 56% of professionals access the platform using multiple devices.
- 62% of LinkedIn members engage with content on LinkedIn because they found it educational or informative.
- More than 250 million people each month are now using Pinterest.
- 175 billion pins were carried out last year, this is up 75% from the previous year.
- More than three quarters (78%) of people on Pinterest say content from brands is useful–much higher than on other platforms.
- There are 1.5 million businesses on Pinterest!
- Soon, businesses will be able to buy ads on Pinterest in certain non-English-speaking markets.
- Pinterest remains more popular with women, as 41% of women use the platform, compared to just 16% of men.
- Pinterest is used by 34% of Americans aged 18-49.
Sprout Social, Hootsuite, Pinterest, Buffer
To up your social media skills in 2019, sign up for one of our social media masterclasses in Perth or webinars today >>
What statistic surprises you the most? We would love to hear from you in the comments!
Latest posts by Sean Huxley (see all)
- AANA Guidelines for Brands Working With Influencers - November 11, 2019
- Instagram Story Ads // Rules and Best Practices - October 16, 2019
- Authentically Engage With Your Social Media Followers [VIDEO] - September 28, 2019