Pinterest boards allow users to upload, sort and save photos, graphics and videos (referred to as pins) into organised collections.
These boards serve as inspiration and ideas for users’ interests, hobbies and potential purchases.
Pinterest is a great place for brands to showcase their products and services to potential customers. Did you know that 72% of Pinners use Pinterest to decide what to buy online?
If you’re thinking of using Pinterest for your business, make sure you create your own boards.
Here is our guide to Pinterest boards.
What is a Pinterest Boards?
In Pinterest’s own words, “Boards are where you save, collect, and organise your Pins. You can create new boards from your profile or when you create a new Pin. Use boards to organise your business’ Pins so that people can easily browse your profile or explore your ideas.”
When creating a Pinterest board, users will usually do so around a common theme, genre, or feeling. From a professional standpoint, creatives use boards for inspiration and break things up into categories or sections of their workflow like digital marketing, social media, content creation, and more.
Finding Boards on Pinterest
So, you’re looking for a bit of inspiration, and you’ve decided to turn to Pinterest. When searching on Pinterest, you have a few options: All Pins, Videos, Boards, and Your Pins. To search for Boards specifically, make sure you check Boards from the drop-down menu on the right-hand side of the search bar.
What is your business category?
Before you begin creating any Pinterest boards, you need to have a clear understanding of what your brand will provide to customers.
If you have an online fashion business, it doesn’t make sense to create boards around DIY + Craft. Pinterest is filled with niches. Spend some time discovering yours and looking for that gap in the market that you can fill.
Board Inspiration for Your Business
Here are some suggestions for Pinterest Boards for your business. Not all of them may apply to your brand.
Focus on inspiration
When people are browsing Pinterest, they aren’t shopping. People spend their time on Pinterest looking for inspiration. Don’t be too sales-focused on Pinterest. Focus on telling stories and getting people’s creative juices flowing.
For example, take a look at Airbnb. Instead of focussing their efforts on property, they’ve decided to focus on experiences, activities, and guides for things to do in different holiday destinations.
[Your City] Board
If your brand is based in Perth, make a board about Perth things related to your brand. This helps you be a voice in your area of expertise. It’s also a great way to provide relevant information to your followers.
What’s popular on Pinterest?
According to the Influencer Marketing Hub, the 10 most popular niches on Pinterest are:
- Home Décor
- DIY and Crafts
- Food and Drink
It’s always a good idea to keep your finger on the pulse of what’s popular online, especially on social media. Don’t be afraid to allow what’s trending to dictate your social media strategy.
Biggest Pinterest accounts
Did you know Pinterest even has influencers? While the number of followers for the most prominent names on Pinterest pales in comparison next to some of the world’s biggest social media platforms. However, that doesn’t mean these accounts don’t have tremendous influence.
With 15.2 million followers, Oh Joy is the most-popular Pinterest influencer.
Jane Wang has amassed a whopping 7.7 million followers on Pinterest.
Bonnie Tsang has found her niche as a visual artist on Pinterest, with an excellent follower count of seven million.
How to create a board?
- Open your profile and click Create board
- Select a name for your board and toggle the switch if you want to keep this board a secret
- Click Create
How to create a board when you save a pin?
- Click Save in the top right corner of a Pin
- Click Create board
- Choose a name for your boardÂ and toggle the switch if you want to keep this board a secret
- Click Create
Organise your boards
Sort boards automatically
- Open your Pinterest profile
- Click Boards to see your boards
- To open the board sorting menu, click;
– Last saved to will sort your boards to show your most recent saves first
– A to Z will sort your boards alphabetically
– Newest will sort by the date the board was created, showing the newest board first
– Oldest will sort by the date the board was created, showing the oldest board first.
Things to Remember
- When using Pinterest for business, always include a link to your website on each pin. This could be a post, an online store or a website. Adding links to pins makes it easy for people to discover more about the Pin that has caught their attention and potentially continue to buy something.
- Use keywords when creating your board names.
- Write a strong board description. Let your audience know what you are providing.
Do you use Pinterest boards? We would love to hear your tips in the comments below!