This is it. The ultimate list of Pinterest Statistics that you need to know for 2022.
Searching for some inspiration? You may be a bit unfamiliar with Pinterest, but you shouldn’t be.
The popular social media platform is a fantastic resource for creatives and professionals alike, and there’s more to it than you might think.
We’ve scoured the web and compiled everything we could find into one complete record of statistics, full of sources.
From the global reports such as the Digital Report, to more localised Australian sources such as the Yellow Report, we regularly update this page with the latest news we can find.
Here we go…
- Pinterest has more than 320 million monthly active users.
- Pinterest gained approximately 51 million monthly international users in 2019.
- In the US, Pinterest can reach 83% of females aged between 35 - 54 years of age. This same audience accounts for 80% of the buying decisions in US homes.
- Pinterest is great for planning life moments. 85% of women use Pinterest to plan life moments compared to 44% for Instagram.
- 52% of Pinterest users use the app to learn more about drinks and food.
- In 2018, Pinterest had a 480% increase in dads searching DIY projects to do with their children.
- 52% of Millennials in America use Pinterest each month.
- Millennials claim that Pinterest inspires them to make dreams a reality, more so than any other platform.
- 28% of global marketers are using Pinterest
- Users rate adverts on Pinterest 1.4x more relevant than any other social media app
- 90% of users agree that Pinterest is “filled with positivity” and the platform is doing its best to keep it that way.
- The average time spent on Pinterest is 14.2 minutes
- 85% of Pinterest users prefer reaching the platform via their smartphones.
- These users are highly active on the platform and have saved more than 200 billion Pins in total.
Travellers use Pinterest to help them decide where to go, how to get there, and what to do once they arrive. Pinterest can help your brand play a part in their journey.
Here's a breakdown of how Australian pinners use the platform for travel:
- 1.9m+ Australians look for travel ideas on Pinterest every month
- 75% say travel pins from brands are useful
- 65% of those interested in travel are females
- 73% of Australian pinners were inspired to plan an additional trip because of Pinterest
- 70% of Pinners discovered a new travel option on Pinterest
- 36% more likely to find that helping the environment is important to them than the average internet users
- 14% more likely to regularly try new foods from other countries.
- 32% more likely to be interested in other cultures and countries than the average internet user.
- 29% more likely to feel that exploring the world is important to me than the average internet users
- 54% have noticed promoted Pins for travel on Pinterest
- 48% who viewed branded Travel content made a purchase
- 42% of females are on Pinterest
- When concentrating on the US, Pinterest reaches 83% of women ages 25-54.
- 15% of males are on Pinterest
- 40% of US dads use Pinterest and are 1.2x more likely to search for healthy recipes than male Pinners as a whole.
- Percentage of users on Pinterest
- 18 - 29 (34%)
- 30 - 49 (35%)
- 50 - 64 (27%)
- 65+ (15%)
- Locations of users on Pinterest
- Urban - 30%
- Suburban - 30%
- Rural - 26%
Below is a list of some of the top 100 trends that Pinterest has identified for 2020.
To make the list, a topic has to show sustained, upward growth over time. For this year’s report, Pinterest compared global search volumes from August 2017–July 2018 and August 2018–July 2019.
Pinterest identified the 100 rising trends and categorised them into 10 cultural themes:
- Beyond Binary
- Gender neutral haircut (+625%)
- Gender neutral games list (+301%)
- Gender neutral party themes (35%)
- Conscious Consumption
- Climate change protest signs (+5961%)
- Low-waste lifestyle (+446%)
- Ocean trash art (+39%)
- Finding Balance
- Social media detox (+314%)
- Feng Shui decor (+137%)
- Embrace being single (+49%)
- Home Hub
- Home coffee stations (+751%)
- Homemade baby foods (+379%)
- Garden room (+104%)
- Internationally Inspired
- Australian garden landscaping (+781%)
- Spanish style bathrooms (+309%)
- Kerala food breakfast (+78%)
- Pampered Pets
- Cat playground outdoor (+512%)
- Pet resort (+260%)
- Pet fashion (+199%)
- Responsible Travel
- Travel stories (+125%)
- Eco friendly travel (+73%)
- Abroad education (+32%)
- Bushcraft camping (+1069%)
- Nature travel (+253%)
- Bring outdoors inside (+108%)
- Space Everything
- Two the moon birthday party (+589%)
- Galaxy themed birthday party (+341%)
- NASA hoodie (+106%)
- 90s rerun
- Hair scrunchie (+6309%)
- Y2K outfits (+669%)
- 90s fashion grunge (+292%)
- 77.1% of Pinterest's ad audience is female.
- 14.5% of Pinterest's ad audience is male.
- People on Pinterest rate ads on Pinterest 1.4 times more relevant and useful than those on other platforms.
- 1 in 2 people make a purchase after seeing a promoted pin
- 78% of users say content from brands is useful, including ads
- Pinterest had a 6.2% increase in their advertising reach compared to their previous quarter-to-quarter.
- Pinterest can reach 200 million people with their adverts.
- Marketers can reach 3.3% of the population aged 13 years or more with their adverts.
- By 2020, Pinterest ad revenue is projected to surpass $1 billion
Potential Reach of Advertising Audience
- 18 - 24 years old (31,800,000 / 15.9%)
- 25 - 34 years old (81,600,000 / 40.8%)
- 35 - 44 years old (37,200,000 / 18.6%)
- 45 - 54 years old (19,800,000 / 9.9%)
- 55 - 64 years old (22,000,000 / 11%)
- 65+ years old (7,800,000 / 3.9%)
- Total (200,000,000)
- 18 - 24 years old (26,584,800)
- 25 - 34 years old (60,792,000)
- 35 - 44 years old (28,197,600)
- 45 - 54 years old (14,998,500)
- 55 - 64 years old (16,198,600)
- 65+ years old (5,599,620)
- Total (152,371,120)
- 18 - 24 years old (3,599,760)
- 25 - 34 years old (12,395,040)
- 35 - 44 years old (5,598,600)
- 45 - 54 years old (3,599,640)
- 55 - 64 years old (3,399,000)
- 65+ years old (1,579,500)
- Total (30,171,540)
Below is the share of Pinterest's advertising audience worldwide, listed by age and gender.
- 18 - 24 year old
- Female - 13.3%
- Male - 1.8%
- Unspecified - 0.8%
- 25 - 34 year old
- Female - 30.4%
- Male - 6.2%
- Unspecified - 4.2%
- 35 - 44 year old
- Female - 14.1%
- Male - 2.8%
- Unspecified - 1.7%
- 45 - 54 year old
- Female - 7.5%
- Male - 1.8%
- Unspecified - 0.6%
- 55 - 64 year old
- Female - 8.1%
- Male - 1.7%
- Unspecified - 1.2%
- 65+ years old
- Female - 2.8%
- Male - 0.8%
- Unspecified - 0.3%
Feel the need for more stats?
Looking for some platform-specific stats? We got you.
Here are some of our previous posts about Pinterest: