This is it. The ultimate list of Twitter statistics that you need to know in 2022.
Misinformation, flagged Tweets, fake news … yep, Twitter has it all. Who knows what the platform has in store for next, but we can tell you all the statistics you should keep in mind for 2022.
We’ve scoured the web and compiled everything we could find into one complete record, full of sources.
From global reports such as the Digital Report to more localised Australian sources, we regularly update this page with the latest news we can find.
Here we go…
- The first tweet was sent on 21 March 2006 and it read – “just setting up my twttr” by @jack
- Chris Messina proposed the hashtag idea in August 2007 and it read – “how do you feel about using # (pound) for groups. As in #bandcamp – [msg]? Did you catch him at State of Social?
- Twitter expanded the character limit in November 2017, from 140 – 280.
- Twitter has 3,900 employees.
- Twitter made profit for the first time in Q4 2017.
- Twitter net worth as of January 2022 is $35B.
- As of April 2022, Twitter is priced at $52 USD per share.
- Twitter’s 2021 annual revenue stands at just over $5 billion
- The most popular Twitter account is @BarackObama
- YouTube is the most popular brand account on Twitter
- Twitter is the 9th most visited website globally
- Twitter is the world’s 7th favourite social media platform
- Twitter’s user count is expected to grow upwards of 329 million in 2022
- 30% of Twitter’s audience are women
- 42% of Twitter users have a college education
- Twitter is one of the most liberal social media platform
- Only 0.2% of Twitter’s audience are exclusive to the platform
- 85% of Twitter’s audience earn more than $30,000 and 34% earn $75,000 or above.
- After Twitter banned Donald Trump, the platform’s user base jumped by 21%
- 25% of U.S adult Twitter users account for 97% of all U.S Tweets
- The average user spends 5.1 hours a month on Twitter
- One-fifth of Twitter users under 30 visit the site too frequently to keep track
- Almost half of Twitter’s audience consumes news regularly on the platform
- 46% of Twitter users say that using the platform has helped them to understand world
- 16% of internet users aged 16-64 use Twitter for brand research
- 54% of Twitter’s audience are more likely to purchase new products
- People will spend 6-minutes per day on Twitter in 2022
- Twitter’s CPM is the lowest out of all the major platforms
- Ad revenue on Twitter exceeds $1.41 billion
- 38 million of the mDAUs came from the US
- Twitter is more popular with millennials than Gen-Z
- Twitter ads reach 5.8% of the world population over the age of 13
- Twitter publishing stats
- There are over 500 million Tweets sent per day
- People Tweet about soccer more than any other sport
- 77% of Twitter users feel more positive about brands that are community and society focused
- There are 1.3 billion accounts made.
- 44% of all accounts have been created and left without ever sending a Tweet.
- Android users spend 5.1 hours/month on Twitter.
- The average person has 707 followers
- There are 391 million accounts with zero followers.
- Tweets with video see 10x more engagement than those without – and Promoted Tweets with videos save more than 50% on cost-per-engagement.
- 79% of Twitter users like to discover what’s new, making it the top platform for discovery.
- Brands send out a median of 0.86 tweets per day, for which they see a median engagement of 0.048%.
- 19% of people will unfollow a brand based on poor hashtag usage
- Twitter is the 15th most used social media platform, with some 436 million MAUs.
- U.S. women are also slightly more likely than men to have private
- 41% of Twitter users surveyed earn a household income about $75,000 (vs. 32% overall)
- Twitter is Australia’s eighth most-popular social media platform.
- Twitter has 330 million monthly active users globally and 5.8 million are from Australia.
- Despite the above, only 2.6% of 16 to 64 year-olds consider Twitter to be their favourite platform.
- 13.53% of Australia’s web traffic referrals on social media come from Twitter.
- Twitter ads have a potential reach of 3.7 million people.
- 28% of Australians over 13 years old are on Twitter
- As of April 2022, Twitter has 211 million monetizable daily active users (mDAUs).
- Twitter has a potential ad reach of 465.1 million.
- Twitter’s ad reach is 5.9% of the global population.
- Twitter’s male ad reach is 71.2% male and 28.8% female.
Below is the share of Twitter’s advertising audience worldwide, listed by age and gender.
- 13 – 17 years old
- Female – 2.1%
- Male – 5.7%
- 18 – 24 years old
- Female – 9.9%
- Male – 15.3%
- 25 – 34 years old
- Female – 7.9%
- Male – 18.7%
- 35 – 49 years old
- Female – 8.8%
- Male – 19.6%
- 50+ years old
- Female – 4.4%
- Male – 7.6%
- CNN Breaking News’s Twitter Profile has 61.8 million followers.
- CNN’s Twitter Profile has 55.7 million followers.
- The New York Times’s Twitter Profile has 51.2 million followers.
- Nasa’s Twitter Profile has 50.7 million followers.
- BBC Breaking News’s Twitter Profile has 48.6 million followers.
Countries with the Greatest Advertising Reach on Twitter
Australia is ranked 18th with a reach of 5,800,000.
Countries with highest number of Twitter users as of Jan 2022
- 23% of US adults use Twitter.
- In the US, 46% of Twitter users report using Twitter daily.
- Some 13% of adults in the U.S. keep their accounts private.
- 25% of U.S. Twitter users are males and 22% of U.S. Twitter users are female.
- 34% of Americans who use Twitter earn $75k+, while 29% of them earn $30k-$49.999.
- Percentage of users on Twitter
- 13 – 17 (33%)
- 18 – 29 (38%)
- 30 – 49 (26%)
- 50 – 64 (17%)
- 65+ (7%)
- Locations of users on Twitter
- Urban – 22%
- Suburban – 26%
- Rural – 13
Feel the need for more stats?
Looking for some platform-specific stats? We got you.