TikTok is the destination for short-form mobile videos.
Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. Statistics bring us joy.
Since TikTok’s launch in 2018, it’s growth has been explosive, especially among teenagers, and is showing no signs of slowing down despite impending regulation.
TikTok celebrates storytellers, and we’ve witnessed the positive impact that creativity and storytelling brings to the TikTok community and the experience of our platform.
Brands are an important part of the TikTok experience. Whether they are starting trends, connecting communities, or bringing awareness to critical public service initiatives, brands are creating authentic audiences built on the foundation of sharing joy.
We’ve scoured the web and compiled everything we could find into one complete record, full of sources. This is it – the ultimate list of TikTok Statistics that you need to know in 2021.
Here we go…
- In 2020, it moved from 16th place to 10th thanks to usage almost tripling among 16-64 year olds, going from 8% to 23.6%.
- According to the Digital Report, there are 689 million monthly active users.
- Musical.ly counted 100 million users at time of August 2018 merger with TikTok
- Music is the cornerstone of the TikTok platform.
- TikTok is the sixth largest social network
- TikTok was the 5th most downloaded app of 2019, and is trending as the #1 downloaded app of 2020.
- The platform has approximately 800 million monthly active users worldwide
- The app has been downloaded more than 1.5 billion times worldwide
- 68 billion hours were spent on Tik Tok in 2019 worldwide
- The average user spends 52 minutes each day on the app
- The average Australian user spends 26 minutes per session on the app
- Android users in Australia spend an average of almost 17 hours per month using the app
- The average user opens the app 8 times a day
- Australian Metro residents have a greater number of friends, contacts or followers on the social media sites they use than rural users - an average of 208 v 125.
- 83% of all TikTok users have posted at least one video
- Tik Tok's Q4 2019 revenue grew by more than 300%
- In the last year, more than 1 billion videos have been viewed every day on the app
- 64% of Tik Tok users have tried face filters or lenses
- Some 35% of TikTok users have participated in a hashtag challenge
- The #RainbowChallenge has more than 978 million views on TikTok
- There are more than 5 million #InMyFeelings challenge videos on the app, compared to Instagram's 1.7 million videos.
- The average engagement rate on the app is 29%
- While there are multiple ways to calculate engagement rate, Cloutmeter indicates that TikTok users average a healthy 52.1% engagement.
- TikTok gained 188 million new users in the first quarter of 2019
- Only 5% of marketers are using TikTok.
- A significant 74% of marketers do not plan on using the platform in the next year; however, 30% are interested in learning more about TikTok.
- TikTok Vs. The Facebook Empire – Facebook’s “Lasso” (it’s TikTok clone), has 250,000 downloads in the U.S. since last November. TikTok has 41.3 Million in that timeframe.
- Although nobody has ever publicly disclosed the exact purchase price Bytedance paid for Musical.ly, most pundits estimate that it was in the range of $800 million to $1 billion.
- 43% of engaged TikTok users have uploaded a “Duet” video.
- In early March 2020, TikTok’s website had an Alexa ranking of 412
- TikTok reports that 689 million people worldwide are using the App. In September 2020 alone it was downloaded 32 million times.
- TikTok reaches 11% of the population aged 13 years or older
- 66% of all users worldwide are under the age of 30
- According to the Digital Report, TikTok’s users are 51% male and 49% female.
- 8% of 16 - 64 year old Australian's were on the platform in January 2020 - this percentage equates to more than 1.7 million people.
- 41% of TikTok users are aged between 16-24 years old
- It’s not entirely off-limits for adults, it’s particularly popular among those in their 40’s, who make up 16.8% of the app’s user base.
- TikTok is available in 155 countries
- The app has been downloaded 467 million time in India, 173 million times in China, and 123 million times in US
- Chinese users account for 80% of the total time spent using TikTok in 2019.
- 43% of new TikTok users are from India.
- One-third of all smartphone users in India have downloaded TikTok
- Brazil is TikTok’s third and fastest-growing market, with 8.6% of downloads
- 90% of all users access the app at least once a day
- While only 9% of US internet users claim to have used TikTok, 49% of teenagers claim to use the platform.
- A recent report surveyed children 4-15-years old during the peak of the U.S. quarantine (March 15 – April) and found users in this young age group spent nearly 86 minutes watching TikTok videos daily.
- The Coronavirus stay-at-home order seems to have only escalated TikTok’s new user growth. TikTok broke records by having more than 115.2 million installs during the month of March 2020. For comparison, in 2019, Instagram only averaged 111.5M downloads per quarter.
- 68% of users watched someone else’s video.
- 63% liked someone else’s video.
- 63% started following someone.
- 59% logged in without doing anything.
- 55% uploaded a video.
- 54% commented on someone’s video.
- 50% shared someone’s video on a different social network.
- 43% uploaded a “Duet” video.
- 41% uploaded a “React” video.
- Influencers with more than 2.5 million followers charge between $600-$1000 per post
- TikTok guarantees five million daily impressions for brand takeover ads
- Ads prices range from $50 to $150,000 on the platform
- The most expensive ad type listed in the company’s leaked pitch deck is the branded Hashtag Challenge.
- TikTok competitor Byte plans to pay creators $250,000 for videos
The top 50 TikTok influencers have a following comparable to 16% of the global population.
At least 40 TikTok stars have more than 10 million followers and it’s top 25 accounts have more than 20 million followers.
Feel the need for more stats?
Looking for some platform specific stats? We got you.