TikTok is the destination for short-form mobile videos.
Their mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. Statistics bring us joy.
Since TikTok’s launch in 2018, it’s growth has been explosive, especially among teenagers, and is showing no signs of slowing down despite impending regulation.
TikTok celebrates storytellers, and we’ve witnessed the positive impact that creativity and storytelling bring to the TikTok community and the experience of our platform.
Brands are an important part of the TikTok experience. Whether they are starting trends, connecting communities, or bringing awareness to critical public service initiatives, brands are creating authentic audiences built on the foundation of sharing joy by creating TikTok videos daily.
We’ve scoured the web and compiled everything we could find into one complete record, full of sources. This is it – the ultimate list of TikTok Statistics that you need to know in 2023.
Here we go…
General TikTok Stats
- TikTok is now the world’s fifth most-used social media platform based on global active users
- According to the Digital Report, TikTok has more than 1 billion monthly active users.
- Musical.ly counted 100 million users at time of August 2018 merger with TikTok
- Music is the cornerstone of the TikTok platform.
- TikTok is the fifth largest social network.
- TikTok was the most downloaded app in 2021.
- The platform has approximately one billion monthly active users worldwide
- The app has been downloaded more than 2 billion times worldwide.
- 68 billion hours were spent on Tik Tok in 2019 worldwide.
- The average user spends 52 minutes each day on the app.
- The average user opens the app 8 times a day.
- 83% of all TikTok users have posted at least one video.reach
- In the last year, more than 1 billion videos have been viewed every day on the app.
- 64% of Tik Tok users have tried face filters or lenses.
- Some 35% of TikTok users have participated in a hashtag challenge.
- The #RainbowChallenge has more than 978 million views on TikTok.
- There are more than 5 million #InMyFeelings challenge videos on the app, compared to Instagram’s 1.7 million videos.
- The average engagement rate on the app is 29%
- While there are multiple ways to calculate engagement rate, Cloutmeter indicates that TikTok users average a healthy 52.1% engagement.
- Only 5% of marketers are using TikTok.
- A significant 74% of marketers do not plan on using the platform in the next year; however, 30% are interested in learning more about TikTok.
- TikTok Vs. The Facebook Empire – Facebook’s “Lasso” (it’s TikTok clone), has 250,000 downloads in the U.S. since last November. TikTok has 41.3 Million in that timeframe.
- Although nobody has ever publicly disclosed the exact purchase price Bytedance paid for Musical.ly, most pundits estimate that it was in the range of $800 million to $1 billion.
- 43% of engaged TikTok users have uploaded a “Duet” video.
- In early March 2020, TikTok’s website had an Alexa ranking of 412
- TikTok reports that 689 million people worldwide are using the App. In September 2020 alone, it was downloaded 32 million times.
- TikTok reaches 11% of the population aged 13 years or older.
Australian TikTok Stats
- As of October 2022, TikTok has become Australia’s seventh most-used social media platform.
- 6.0% of 18-64 year-olds say TikTok is their favourite social media platform.
- Australians spend 23.4 hours per month on TikTok – an increase of 40% from 2021.
- In Australia, TikTok ads have the potential to reach 7.38 million users (18+ only).
TikTok Demographics Statistics
- 47% of TikTok users are between ages 10-29
- According to the Digital Report, TikTok’s users are 46.9% male and 53.1% female.
- TikTok is available in 154 countries.
- The app has been downloaded 467 million time in India, 173 million times in China, and 123 million times in US
- 43% of new TikTok users are from India.
- UK android users spend 27.3 hours per month on TikTok.
- Nearly 80 million monthly active users are located in the US
- While only 9% of US internet users claim to have used TikTok, 49% of teenagers claim to use the platform.
- 37% of TikTok users have a household income of $100k+
The following stats were from data sourced by 99 Firms:
- TikTok has over two billion downloads.
- TikTok boasts approximately one billion active monthly users.
- Roughly 90% of users access TikTok every day.
- About 62% of all US TikTok users are between 10 and 29 years old.
- Females account for over 61% of TikTok’s active users in the US.
- Roughly 50% of TikTok’s best-performing ads play to the emotions of viewers.
- Users spend a daily average of 52 minutes on TikTok.
- One million videos are viewed on TikTok each day.
TikTok Advertisement Stats
- The potential ads reach on TikTok (18+) is 945.2 million
- Influencers with more than 2.5 million followers charge between $600-$1000 per post
- TikTok guarantees five million daily impressions for brand takeover ads
- Ads prices range from $50 to $150,000 on the platform
- TikTok ads have an ad reach of 11.8% of the world’s population over 18 years of age
- The female ad reach is 53.1% vs 46.9% male.
- TikTok’s largest advertising audience is female users aged 18-24 at 19.4%
As of October 2022, the following countries have the largest ad reach on TikTok:
- The USA
- Russian Federation
- The Philippines
Most Followed TikTok Accounts
The top 50 TikTok influencers have a following comparable to 16% of the global population.
At least 50 TikTok stars have more than 31 million followers, and its top 10 accounts all have more than 50 million followers.
- Khabane Lame – 151.6million
- Charlie D’Amelio – 148.6 million
- Bella Poarch – 92.3 million
- Addison Rae – 88.7 million
- Will Smith – 72.4 million
- Zach King – 70.7 million
- Kimberly Loaiza – 69.5 million
Feel the need for more stats?
Looking for some platform specific stats? We got you.