The following social media statistics for Western Australia should help to make you better informed when developing a 2019 marketing strategy for your brand.
Weâ€™ve sourced the very best stats from the 2018 Yellow Social Media Report. The results show that we certainly love to use social media in W.A!
This post is packed full of juicy info that your brand needs to know. For instance, holidays, travel and accommodation were the most popular reasons for people to leave an online review. So if that’s your area of work, make sure you are all across your socials!
And not even the Cambridge Analytica scandal could slow down Facebook -Â with 94% of West Australians using the social platform.
Keen to know more?
How exactly are we accessing our social media profiles and what devices to we love?
- Only 46% of people have a desktop computer.
- 83% of people have a smartphone.
- 62% of West Australians have an iPad/tablet.
- 56% of West Australians access the internet more than five times per day.
It turns out quite a lot of us like to relax at night and browse our socials.
- 60% of West Australians use social media in the evening.
- 53% of West Australians check social media first thing in the morning.
- 10% of people use social media when at work.
- 14% of West Australians access social media on their daily commute.
- 24% of West Australians say going on social media is the last thing they do before they go to bed.
Facebook is still on top
Facebook still reigns supreme, but Instagram continues to climb.
- Facebook is used by 94% of West Australians.
- 44% of West Australians use YouTube.
- 23% of West Australians use Instagram.
- 14% of West Australians use Snapchat.
- 1% of West Australians use dating app Tinder.
- 79% of West Australians prefer Facebook Messenger as their messaging service.
- 30% of West Australians use WhatsApp.
- The average West Aussie has 139 Facebook friends.
- The average West Aussie has 53 Snapchat friends.
- The average West Aussie has 133 LinkedIn friends.
- The average West Aussie has 85 Twitter followers.
- 149 is the average amount of followers on Instagram for West Australians.
- The average West Australian uses Facebook 31 timers per week.
- Instagram comes in second place with the platform being used 20 times per week.
- The average time spent per visit on Facebook is 13 minutes.
- The average time spent per visit on Instagram is 7 minutes.
- The average time spent per visit on Snapchat is 3 minutes.
- The average time spent per visit on Twitter is 5 minutes.
Seriously, please don’t use social media while driving!
- 21% of people use social media while in the car.
- 4% of social media users publish live video.
- 8% of West Australians have posted pictures or video using the story function on Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat.
- 29% of West Australians follow a brand or business on social media.
- The biggest desire to follow brands on social media is discounting (59%).
- Giveaways (42%) was also another popular option to follow a brand.
- 39% of West Australians follow brands on social media for product information.
- 20% of people follow a brand to receive invitations to events.
- 12% of people have stopped following a brand on social media in the last three months.
- Irrelevant or unappealing content was the most popular reason to stop following a brand on social media.
- Posting too much content was another common reason for unfollowing a brand on social media.
How do we engage with businesses?
It looks like a few of us have left a review of some sort. What are our attitudes when it comes to businesses on social media?
- 67% of West Australians read online reviews or blogs.
- 38% of social media users post online reviews or blogs.
- Holidays, travel and accommodation were the most popular reasons for leaving an online review.
- Only 8% of users trust social media for news.
- 29% of West Australians said theyâ€™ve reacted to something on social media that wasnâ€™t true.
- 17% of West Australians said they had seen someone bullied on social media.
- 23% of people said they felt excited when their post received more likes than usual.
- 20% of people have watched content broadcast live or content that was recently recorded.
- 33% of us like to see a brandâ€™s social media presence before making an online purchase from them.
- 36% of us sometimes click on ads we see on social media to find out more.
- 53% of us ignore sponsored posts from businesses we donâ€™t follow.
- 21% of us â€˜likeâ€™ sponsored posts from businesses we follow on social media.