12th December 2018
All around the world video has changed the way businesses, brands and creators connect with their audience.
More and more people are quickly realising the powerful effects that video can have – particularly live video. Live video gives brands an exciting new way to create an organic connection with their customers by delivering fast, immersive and fun content.
Here is everything you need to know about Instagram Live.
Image: Buffer Blog
Benefits of Using Instagram Live
Live Video is a Priority
It’s no secret that Instagram is one of the most popular platforms in the world. Every day users ‘like’ 4.2 billion posts – that’s some serious engagement!
But with so much content being posted, you need to make sure you’re doing everything you can to be seen.
The Instagram algorithm places your live video at the top of your followers’ feed. This is REALLY important as users don’t see 70% of what’s on their feed.
Instagram Live gives your customers an opportunity to connect with you in real-time. It’s a great chance for users to ask you about a product or service and get an answer on the spot. The more time you spend building authentic relationships with your followers, the more you will be rewarded.
How to use Instagram Live
Instagram Live is super easy to use, so let’s break it down.
To begin, open the Instagram app and tap the camera icon, located at the top left of the screen.
Along the bottom of the page you will have a range of options to choose from:
Scroll along until you find “Live”.
Once selected, a large white button will appear that says – “Start Live Video”.
Before you begin it’s important to set up video preferences.
To access Live Video preferences click the settings icon at the top left of the screen.
You have the option to:
- Hide your Live video from different people
- Allow message replies
- Save to archive
- Save to gallery
- Allow sharing
- Share your story to Facebook
- Allow highlights resharing
Once you have your settings in place, you are ready to go Live.
Instagram will then begin a three-second countdown until you are Live.
Once Live, your friends and followers who are online will be notified that you’re Live with the caption:
“[Username] has started a live video. Watch it before it ends!”
How to Find Instagram Live Videos
On the Stories bar at the top of your feed, Instagram displays the people you follow in circle avatars.
If someone is currently live the word “Live” will be displayed at the bottom of their avatar.
If someone was previously Live and the video is now saved to their Story, you will see a play icon.
You can make things interesting for your viewers by adding Face filters.
To use a Face Filter, select the smiley face in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
You can do this at any point during your Live video stream.
Finishing your Live Video
When you are ready to end your video click on the ‘end’ button at the top right of the screen.
Instagram will then display how many viewers your video had. You will also have the option to share your video for the next 24 hours to your story.
Things to Consider
- Make sure you have a plan before you go Live.
- Promote your Live Video in advance
- Promote your video in Stories (will you need to add links?)
- Engage with your followers (don’t just talk, listen to what they are saying)
- Test your video first (film your environment for light and sound on your camera phone)
- If you share your Live video to your story make sure you respond to any DMs that get sent to you
- Recap your Live Video with an Instagram post
- Encourage loyal viewers with rewards
Do you use Instagram Live? How do you think it compares to other social media platforms? Let us know in the comments.
Latest posts by Sean Huxley (see all)
- Facebook Creator Studio // Publish and Schedule Posts to Instagram - September 17, 2019
- The #SMPerth Membership is Here [VIDEO] - September 7, 2019
- How to Create a Facebook Event Frame, Instagram Event Geotag, and Snapchat Event Filter - August 27, 2019