In 2022, Snapchat isn’t quite what it used to be.
A lot has changed for Snapchat, with much of the app looking and functioning differently from the original. So, what’s new for Snapchat in 2022?
Snapchat exploded in popularity following its release back in 2011. Since then, the app has grown to over 249 million daily active users worldwide.
While Snapchat was originally about secure, person-to-person communication, the app now has many other features to help people connect and embrace their creative side. Whether you want to live chat with friends, send text messages, create videos, or even create avatars, Snapchat has you covered.
What is Snapchat?
When Snapchat first arrived, it was like Mission Impossible. Tom Cruise receives a message, and the message proceeds to self-destruct. While nothing explodes, that’s how it works. In 2022, Snapchat has evolved into more than that. Users can send images, videos, and messages that remain visible for a short period.
With the explosion of TikTok, Snapchat has been busy adding new features to its platform.
Getting started on Snapchat
The first step in getting started is downloading the app and making an account. Snap chat will guide you through everything and ask you a couple of questions. You’ll need to accept the terms and conditions, create a username, verify your phone number, and find your friends. If you’d like Snapchat to find friends for you, simply allow the app access to your contact list.
Understanding the Chat Screen
Once you’ve signed up and connected with some friends, swipe right from the camera to enter your Chat Screen. The Chat Screen is where you’ll find all of your friends’ Snaps, Stories, and Chats in one place.
For a full rundown of navigating the Snapchat app, head here.
How to create a Snap
Here are the basics of how to create a Snap:
- To take a photo, simply tap the camera button (the circle at the bottom centre)
- To take a video, press and hold the camera button
- Tap the refresh symbol or double-tap your screen to switch between your rear and selfie camera
- To disable flash, tap the lightning symbol
If you want to create a video longer than 10 seconds in length, you’ll need to do a Long Snap. To record a Long Snap, press and hold the camera button, and simply keep holding to create your Long Snap.
You will see it at the bottom of your camera screen when you’ve finished capturing your Long Snap. There are a bunch of filters and creative tools at your disposal to help bring your Snap to life.
Use Different Camera Modes
Snapchat offers a host of different Camera Modes, so you can find fun and exciting ways to take a snap.
In 2022, Camera Modes include:
- Focus Mode – a depth-of-field effect that focuses on a face.
- Timer – time your perfect Snap.
- Grid – nail your alignment with a simple grid.
- Multi Snap – take multiple Snaps simultaneously and edit them to find your favourite.
- 3D – take a 3D selfie and add 3D effects. Move your phone to change your perspective!
- Timeline Mode – capture multiple videos sequentially to edit and send as one video. You can also import videos from your Camera Roll to add to the fun!
Note: 3D is only available on some iOS devices.
Use Multi Snap to catch that fast action shot or choose the perfect selfie 😁
Multi Snap lets you take multiple photo or video Snaps quickly so you can review and edit them individually — choose the best ones to send or save!
To take a Multi Snap:
- Tap on the Camera screen and tap
- Tap or hold the Camera button repeatedly to take multiple photo and video Snaps
- Tap ‘Review and Edit’
- Tap a Snap to edit it, or tap ✖️ to remove it
When you’re done, tap at the bottom to save your Snaps to Memories, or tap to send them to a friend or a Story!
That covers the basics. However, like all social media apps, there’s so much more to explore after finding your feet. Download the app, make an account, and start playing around with what Snapchat has to offer.