08th August 2017
Looking for up to date Pinterest Stats? Check out our 2020 Facts & Figures.
Pinterest is a place for ideas and dream building.
Users create boards, filled with images and links to articles on websites of products they’d like to purchase, places they want to go and things they want to make.
Created in March 2010 it was described as “a catalogue of ideas” by its co-founder Evan Sharp. Seven years on it still holds on to the original concept but has also become a much larger platform in the e-commerce realm with the introduction of buyable pins, allowing people to shop from anywhere.
Below we’ve compiled 30+ of the most Pinteresting stats for you.
- Pinterest has over 150 million monthly active users
- 81% of Pinterest users are female
- There’s been a 120% growth in male users in the past year
- The majority (67%) of Pinners are under 40
- Millennials make up the largest age group on Pinterest (36%), followed by Gen-X (34%)
- Pinners spend an average of 14.2 minutes per session on the platform
- 1 in 10 Australians use Pinterest
- 75% of new sign ups are users located outside the US
- 1 in 4 live in rural areas Pinners live in urban compared to 64% that live in urban areas
- 80% of users access Pinterest on their mobile app
- Over 50 billion pins have been made on Pinterest
- There are more than 1 billion Pinterest boards
- 80% of pins are repins
- Pins in the fashion category are most popular on Thursday, while Saturday is the most popular day for travel pins
- Descriptions that are 100-200 characters in length gain more reins
- Recipes make up more than 1.7 billion pins
- Images without human faces get pinned more often
- Horizontal images are repinned 60% more than vertical images
- Two 3rds of pins represent a brand or product
- 72 percent of millennials use the visual pinboard to connect with the brands they love
- It is 47% more likely for a Pinterest user to be introduced to new a brand than users on other social media platforms.
- 83% of Pinterest users would rather follow a brand than a celebrity
- Promoted pins result in purchases 7x higher than traditional marketing
- 70% of sales from promoted pins are new customers
- Pins that include prices get 36% more likes
- 87% of Pinners have made a purchase because of Pinterest
- 47% of millennials that use Pinterest have bought something they’ve pinned
- Pinterest contributes to over 5% of all referral traffic to websites
- Pinterest is the 2nd highest referrer of traffic to Shopify stores
- 72% of Pinners use Pinterest to research what to buy offline
- Pinterest drives 5x more in store purchases than any other platform
- 67% of users research Pinterest for ideas, product prices and reviews when in shops
- 71 percent of millennials turn to the platform for recommendations on what to buy
Could you use Pinterest to leverage you brand? Find out how to get started and more in our Pinterest guide for businesses.