Looking for up to date Twitter Stats? Check out our 2020 Facts & Figures.
Twitter is still around after 11 years, though it’s not been all champagne and roses.
If you listen to the hype you would think that Twitter is a dying platform, and it is true that the growth on the platform has all but come to a halt.
But, the activity that happens on Twitter is where the real excitement is.
Here are 50 of the hottest Twitter statistics to help you make the most of the platform in your marketing.
- 23% of Internet users are on Twitter
- There are over 317 million monthly active Twitter users worldwide
- 100 million use the platform daily
- There are 1.3 billion Twitter accounts, approximately 20 million are fake
- 79% of Twitter users are located outside of the US
- In Australia, around 1 in 3 social media users are on Twitter
- 70% of Australians aged 18-29 use Twitter
- 500 million tweets are sent every day, that’s 6000 per second!
- Over half of Twitter users never post any content
- 67% of Australian Twitter users tweet more than 5 times per day
- In 2015, more than 100 million GIFs were shared on Twitter
- Tweets that contain images gain 1.5 times more RT’s than those without
- The ideal length for Tweets that include images is 20-40 characters
- Video is 6x more likely be retweeted than photos
- Tweets containing one hashtag receive 29% more engagement
- 88% of businesses use Twitter in their marketing
- 92% of brands tweet more than once a day
- Twitter is used by two thirds of companies with over 100 employees
- More than 50% of businesses in Australia have a presence on Twitter
- In Australia, Twitter is the third most popular platform for small businesses (Sensis, 2017)
- 49% of monthly Twitter users follow brands or companies
- Twitter users are 3x more likely to follow brands than Facebook users
- 58% of brands have more than 100k followers
- 82% of Twitter users interact with brands on the platform
- There are more than 130,000 active advertisers on Twitter
- Around 1 in 3 businesses have used paid/ sponsored ads on Twitter
- 24% of large businesses surveyed in Australia have advertised on Twitter
- Promoted Tweets boost offline sales by 29%
- 85% of Twitter users have discovered a brand through promoted advertising
- Paid ad engagement on Twitter grew 208% between 2015 and 2016
- More than half of users will access the platform at least once a day
- In a month, the platform attracts 500 million visitors that don’t log in
- For 86% of users, news is the primary reason for being on Twitter
- Of these, 70% like to use Twitter to get the news in real time
- Using Twitter as a second-screen with live events is a popular reason for 28% of users
- 79% of Twitter users have retweeted a brand
- Twitter users are twice as likely to shop online as non-Twitter users
- Over 67% of Twitter users are likely to buy from a brand they follow
- 11pm is the best time for retweets, but 9pm is the best time for overall engagement
- Customer service is very important to Twitter users, 60% expect a response to their query within an hour
Bonus: Fun Facts!
- Twitter is now 11 years old, in that time over 250 million Tweets have been liked
- If Twitter were a country it would be the 12th most populated.
- Despite Twitter being blocked in China it is estimated there are 10 million users
- 13 million retweets is the record for most retweeted Tweet held by teen Carter Wilkerson (@carterjwm) after he after surpassed Ellen DeGeneres’ Oscar tweet
- The award for most retweeted brand tweet is “Thanks, #Apple ;)” by Nokia UK (@nokia_uk) in 2013
- Justin Bieber (@JustinBieber) has received well over 943 million mentions on Twitter (March 2016)
- Katy Perry (@katyperry) is the first user to reach 100 million followers
- 83% of world leaders are on Twitter, with over 92 million followers Barak Obama is the most followed leader
- Approximately 70 million Tweets in the past year contained the dog emoji ? (March 2017)
- In a single minute during the 2014 FIFA World Cup Final, there were 618, 725 tweets
Twitter is popular with news junkies and journalists but, as the stats have revealed it is also an effective method for brands to reach their customers. Will you rethink the way you are using Twitter in your marketing?