05th March 2020
This is it. The ultimate list of Twitter statistics that you need to know in 2020.
We’ve scoured the web and compiled everything we could find into one complete record, full of sources.
Here we go…
- The first tweet was sent on 21 March 2006 and it read - "just setting up my twttr" by @jack
- Chris Messina proposed the hashtag idea in August 2007 and it read - "how do you feel about using # (pound) for groups. As in #bandcamp - [msg]? Did you catch him at State of Social?
- Twitter expanded the character limit in November 2017, from 140 - 280.
- Twitter has 3,900 employees.
- Twitter made profit for the first time in Q4 2017.
- As of January 2020, Twitter priced their IPO at $32 per share.
- There are 1.3 billion accounts made.
- 44% of all accounts have been created and left without ever sending a Tweet.
- 550 million people have sent a Tweet.
- 80% of active mobile users visit the site via mobile.
- The average person has 707 followers
- There are 391 million accounts with zero followers.
- 24.6% of all verified accounts are Journalists.
- If you were to print a day's worth of Tweet's, it would fill a 10 million page book!
- Tweets with video see 10x more engagement than those without - and Promoted Tweets with videos save more than 50% on cost-per-engagement.
- 79% of Twitter users like to discover what’s new, making it the top platform for discovery.
- Brands send out a median of 0.86 tweets per day, for which they see a median engagement of 0.048%.
- 19% of people will unfollow a brand based on poor hashtag usage
Countries with the Greatest Reach on Twitter
Australia is ranked 16th with a reach of 6,230,000.
Feel the need for more stats?
Looking for some platform specific stats? We got you.
Here are some of our previous posts about Twitter Stats: