This is it. The ultimate list of Twitter statistics that you need to know in 2020.
We’ve scoured the web and compiled everything we could find into one complete record, full of sources.
Here we go…
- The first tweet was sent on 21 March 2006 and it read - "just setting up my twttr" by @jack
- Chris Messina proposed the hashtag idea in August 2007 and it read - "how do you feel about using # (pound) for groups. As in #bandcamp - [msg]? Did you catch him at State of Social?
- Twitter expanded the character limit in November 2017, from 140 - 280.
- Twitter has 3,900 employees.
- Twitter made profit for the first time in Q4 2017.
- As of January 2020, Twitter priced their IPO at $32 per share.
- There are 1.3 billion accounts made.
- 44% of all accounts have been created and left without ever sending a Tweet.
- 550 million people have sent a Tweet.
- 80% of active mobile users visit the site via mobile.
- The average person has 707 followers
- There are 391 million accounts with zero followers.
- 24.6% of all verified accounts are Journalists.
- If you were to print a day's worth of Tweet's, it would fill a 10 million page book!
- Tweets with video see 10x more engagement than those without - and Promoted Tweets with videos save more than 50% on cost-per-engagement.
- 79% of Twitter users like to discover what’s new, making it the top platform for discovery.
- Brands send out a median of 0.86 tweets per day, for which they see a median engagement of 0.048%.
- 19% of people will unfollow a brand based on poor hashtag usage
- Twitter is 13th most used social media platform, with some 340 million MAU.
- Among U.S. adults, the most prolific tweeters are more likely to be women: 65% of Twitter’s most active users are women.
- U.S. women are also slightly more likely than men to have private
- 41% of Twitter users surveyed earn a household income about $75,000 (vs. 32% overall)
- Twitter accounts
- As of the first quarter of 2020, Twitter has 166 million monetizable daily active users (mDAUs).
Below is the share of Twitter's advertising audience worldwide, listed by age and gender.
Countries with the Greatest Reach on Twitter
Australia is ranked 16th with a reach of 6,230,000.
- In the United States, 80% of tweets are created by just 10% of users.
- Findings from Pew Research Center show that the average U.S. adult posts twice and favorites one tweet per month, follows 89 accounts, and has 29 followers.
- Some 13% of adults in the U.S. keep their accounts private.
- 21% of females are on Twitter
- 24% of males are on Twitter
- Percentage of users on Twitter
- 13 - 17 (33%)
- 18 - 29 (38%)
- 30 - 49 (26%)
- 50 - 64 (17%)
- 65+ (7%)
- Locations of users on Twitter
- Urban - 22%
- Suburban - 26%
- Rural - 13%
Feel the need for more stats?
Looking for some platform specific stats? We got you.
Here are some of our previous posts about Twitter Stats:
- Must Know Stats // Twitter in 2017
- 50 Stats For Twitter in 2019
- Twitter Stats for 2019 [VIDEO]
- 20 Twitter Fast Facts