Not that long ago, the only thing that used to ‘tweet’ was a bird.
Now we have celebrities, influencers and even world leaders jotting down their thoughts in 280 characters (up from 140, apparently people have a lot to say) Twitter has definitely come a long way and doesn’t plan on slowing down any time soon.
Think this list is TL;DR? Check out our Twitter Stats video….
Here are our top 50 Stats for Twitter in 2019:
1. 1.3 billion Twitter accounts have been created
2. 6,000 tweets are sent per second.
3. Around 4,000 people work at Twitter HQ.
4. A days worth of tweets would fill a 10 million page book.
5. The average number of followers on Twitter is 707.
6. 10 tweets per second mention Starbucks.
7. The most followed person on Twitter? Katy Perry, with 106 million followers.
8. Twitter can handle the capacity of 18 quintillion user accounts.
9. 500 million people visit the site without logging in.
10. 80% of active users access Twitter on their mobile.
11. Only 550 million people have sent a tweet.
12. Twitter is currently valued at $16 billion USD.
13. Roughly, 46% of all users access Twitter daily.
14. The average Twitter user has tweeted 307 times.
15. It took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day for Twitter to hit 1 billion tweets.
16. 69% of follows are suggested by friends.
17. 391 million accounts have no followers at all.
18. The average Twitter user follows 5 business accounts.
19. The ‘unfollow’ button was almost called leave. (I know lots of people who need to leave)
20. 80% of users have mentioned a brand in a tweet.
21. Journalists make up around 25% of verified accounts.
22. The name of the social network was originally called ‘Twttr’
23. There are 181,354 people on Twitter who have the words ‘social media’ in their bio.
24. The official Twitter account for Sweden is run by a different citizen every week.
25. Around 23 million accounts are fake, spam bots.
26. Tweets with images get 150% more re-tweets.
27. The most followed brand on Twitter is YouTube.
28. Users used to be known as ‘Twitterers’.
29. Twitters revenue per employee is around $500,000 USD.
30. 500 million tweets are sent each day.
31. 40 languages are supported on Twitter
32. 93% of Twitter videos are viewed on mobile devices.
33. Twitter serves more than 2 billion search queries a day.
34. 74% of users say they use Twitter to get their news.
35. Three of the five richest people have a verified Twitter account; shoutout to Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and Larry Ellison.
36. 391 million Twitter accounts have no followers.
37. 48% of employees at Twitter are engineers.
38. The first user to hit 1 million followers was Ashton Kutcher.
39. Seven of the 10 most followed accounts belong to singers.
40. The most re-tweeted tweet is Ellen Degeneres’ famous Oscar selfie.
41. Twitter won’t allow you to follow more than 2,000 people unless you have 2,000 followers.
42. Almost 66% of businesses who have 100 or more employees have a Twitter account.
43. Even though Twitter is blocked in China, it’s estimated that there are still around 10 million active users.
44. 276 world leaders are active on Twitter (and we all know who just HAS to be heard on Twitter, *eye roll*)
45. Approximately 300,000 Twitter accounts are verified.
46. 70 million accounts were suspended after a cleanup of the site in 2018.
47. There are around 160,000 active advertisers on Twitter.
48. Over 40% of millennials use Twitter every month.
49. 41% of people bought a product they saw advertised on Twitter within the last 30 days.
50. There are around 330 million monthly active users on Twitter!