13th September 2019
The Digital in 2019 report has just been updated with its Quarter 3 statistics.
The report is a whopping 107 pages long, so we’ve pulled out the very best statistics that we think digital marketers need to know!
So, let’s get into it. Here are 55 global social media stats that you should know for Q3.
- Active social media users have exceeded 3.5 billion worldwide.
- Internet users are now growing by an average of more than one million new users every day.
- There are 5.11 billion unique mobile users in the world today, up 100 million (2 percent) in the past year.
- The global number of active internet users is 4.333 billion.
- 50.6% of web traffic is served to web browsers from mobile phones.
- 45.5% of web traffic is served to web browsers from laptops and computers.
- The average speed of mobile internet connections is 27.44 MBPS.
- The average speed of fixed internet connections is 59.45 MBPS.
- Australia is ranked 4th in the world for average mobile connection speed with 63.20 MBPS.
- The number 1 ranked country for mobile connection speed is South Korea with 90.06 MBPS.
- Singapore has the highest fixed internet connection speed with 195.88 MBPS.
- Google.com is the world’s most visited website. Followed by Youtube.com, Facebook.com, Baidu.com, and Wikipedia.com.
- 84% of internet users have searched for a product or service to buy in the last month.
- 36% of internet users find new brands via search engines. Adverts on T.V comes in at second place with 35%.
- India has the highest percentage of users (56%) who use voice search and voice commands.
- Australia has 28% of internet users who use voice search and commands, which is well below the global average of 43%.
- Globally, 64% of internet users are worried how companies use their personal data.
- 93% of internet users use the internet to watch online videos monthly.
- 51% of internet users use the internet to watch vlogs monthly.
- 70% of internet users use the internet to stream music monthly.
- 43% of internet users use the internet to listen to radio stations.
- 39% of internet users use the internet to listen to podcasts.
- 22% of internet users worldwide have watched an e sport tournament online recently.
- Only 5% of internet users in Australia have watched an e sport tournament online recently.
- The most popular age for internet users to watch e sport tournaments is 16 – 24 year old (32%).
- 29% of internet users worldwide have watched an online live stream of a video game.
- 82% of internet users use online media (including social media) to access news content.
- 70% of internet users use television (broadcast and cable) to access news content.
- 52% of internet users use social media (including messenger apps) to access news content.
- 13% of internet users worldwide claim to pay for online news services.
- 14% of internet users in Australia claim to pay for online news services.
- 17% of internet users aged between 25 – 35 are most likely to pay for online news services.
- 65% of internet users worldwide have paid for some form of digital content in the last 30 days.
- 55% of global internet users are concerned about “fake news”.
- Australian is slightly more concerned,with 62% of Australian internet users concerned about “fake news”.
- 51% of all internet users admit to using some sort of ad blocking tool in the past 30 days.
- Social media is used as a news source for 52% of all internet users.
- Facebook claims that their ads can reach 1.944 billion people.
- India has the highest Facebook advertising audience with 270,000,000 users.
- Instagram claims that their ads can reach 849.3 million people.
- USA has the highest Instagram advertising audience with 110,000,000 users.
- Twitter claim that their ads can reach 254.0 million people.
- USA has the highest Twitter advertising audience with 48,650,000 users.
- Snapchat claims that their ads can reach 369 million people.
- USA has the highest Snapchat advertising audience with 97,550,000 users.
- LinkedIn claims that their ads can reach 639.4 million people.
- USA has the highest LinkedIn advertising audience with 160,000,000 users.
- Pinterest claims that their ads can reach 144.5 million people.
- USA has the highest Pinterest advertising audience with 76,320,000 users.
- The average engagement rate for Facebook posts with pages with less than 10,000 fans is 4.73%.
- The average engagement rate for Facebook posts with pages with more than 100,000 fans is 2.67%.
- There are 5.177 billion unique mobile users worldwide.
- The average monthly mobile data used by the average smartphone is 7.3GB
- 30.3 billion mobile apps were downloaded during Q2 2019.
- $22.6 billion was spent on mobile apps worldwide during Q2 2019.
The Digital Report in 2019 by Hootsuite.
Be sure to check out the video version too!