Looking for up to date Instagram Stats? Check out our 2020 Facts & Figures.
Instagram is hot, and we’ve got the stats to prove it.
The follower growth in 2015-2016 was 100%, making it the fastest growing social media platform!
The simple photo sharing app was created in 2010 by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger. It allowed users to take photos and apply filters then share them with their friends. Being an open network allowed for connections to be made with brands and personalities.
In 2012, less than two years after it’s launch Instagram was bought by Facebook. It has since evolved and grown into one of the most successful apps and the second most popular social media platform.
Here are some other cool Instagram stats that you might like:
- 700 million monthly active users worldwide (April 2017)
- Over 400 million of them are active daily
- 80% of Instagram users are outside of the US
- Instagram is the 3rd most popular social networking platform in Australia (Sensis 2017)
- There are currently 5 million active monthly users in Australia
- Instagram users are predominantly female (31% of internet users vs. 24% male)
- 55% of internet users aged 18-29 use Instagram
- In the 6 years since launching over 40 billion photos have been shared
- An average of 95 million photos and videos are posted daily
- Instagram ‘stories’ is used by 100 million users daily
- 36% of Australians surveyed have published content using Instagram stories
- At over 11 million likes, Beyonce’s pregnancy announcement in February holds the record for most likes
- More than 5 million videos were shared in 24 hours when video was introduced to Instagram
- 8 million businesses have an Instagram business profile
- 90% of the top 100 brands in the world have an Instagram profile
- The number of brands on Instagram is rising annually, it is estimated that 70% of brands in the US will be using Instagram in 2017.
- 50% of Instagrammers follow at least one business
- 68% of Instagrammers regularly interact with brands
- There are 1 million monthly active advertisers on the platform
- According to eMarketer revenue from Instagram advertising is estimated to reach US $2.81 billion in 2017
- Instagram reports there have been over 1 billion actions taken on Instagram ads
Engagement Instagram Stats
- There are 4.2 billion posts liked daily
- 5pm on Wednesday sees the most engagement with posts
- Engagement with brands on Instagram is higher than any other social platform
- On average, Australian Instagrammers use the platform 37.7 times per week (Sensis 2017)
- Australians spend an average of 26.9 minutes per session on the platform
- Posts have 58 times more engagement per follower than Facebook
- On seeing a brand post, 75% of Instagrammers are inspired to take an action, such as visiting a website, searching, shopping or telling a friend
- Using at least one hashtag increases engagement by 12.6%, including another handle increases engagement by 56% and posts with a location gain 79% more engagement