08th January 2020
This is it. The ultimate list of Instagram Statistics that you need to know in 2020.
We’ve scoured the web and compiled everything we could find into one complete record, full of sources.
Here we go…
Random Instagram Stats
- The second most downloaded free app in the Apple store is Instagram.
- More than 40 billion photos have been shared on the app.
- Approximately 100 million photos are uploaded every 24 hours.
- It’s expected that Instagram will account for nearly 30 percent of Facebook’s ad revenue in 2020.
- Instagram is used by 25% of smartphone users.
- #Love is the most used hashtag on Instagram. It has been used more than 1.7 billion times
- The first photo ever posted to Instagram was of a dog near a taco stand, taken by Instagram co-founder Kevin Systrom.
- Instagram is the 10th most popular Google query.
Instagram User Stats
- Instagram is currently hiding likes for the following 7 countries: Australia, Brazil, Canada, Ireland, Italy, Japan and New Zealand.
- Instagram has 1 billion users using the app every month.
- Instagram stories has 500 million users every day.
- The top 5 countries with the most Instagram users are: America (110M), Brazil (70M), India (69M), Indonesia (59M), Russia (40M).
- It’s predicted in 2020 that Instagram will see a 5.4% increase in American users and reach 112.5M, and 117.2M in 2021.
- The 5 countries that reach the highest percentage of the population are: Brunei (60%), Iceland (57%), Turkey (56%), Sweden (55%), Kuwait (55%).
- On Instagram, 52% of users are female, and 48% of users are men.
- 88% of Instagram users live outside of America.
- As of November 2019, there are 9,442,000 Instagram users in Australia.
- This accounts for 37.2% of the entire population.
- The majority of Australian Instagram users are female – 57.1%.
- 3,100,000 Australian users are aged between 25-34.
Instagram Usage Stats
- 62% of users log into their account at least once per day.
- 42% of users check their account multiple times per day.
- The average Instagram user will spend 28 minutes each day on the app.
- 200 million users check out at least one business profile each day.
- 62% of users say they are more interested in a brand after seeing it in an Instagram Story.
- Every month, 130 million Insta users click on shopping posts.
- More than 50% of Instagram accounts use Explore to discover new content and new accounts to follow.
- The heart love sticker is the most used Giphy in Stories.
- The Like button is hit 4.2 billion times per day.
- Nearly two-thirds of Instagram users are aged between 18 – 29.
- 18 – 34 year olds are the most active age group.
- Brands on Instagram receive approximately 10 times more engagement than on Facebook.
- Brands can experience 23% less engagement on Facebook for the same image.
- 95 million posts are shared every day on Instagram.
- More than 1 million users watch live video each day.
- Carousels get more organic interactions than both video and images on Instagram.
- 76% of brands think images are the best type of content to post in Instagram.
- Brands use less hashtags when posting videos, typically between 3 and 9.
- The “perfect caption” has less than 10 words and 20 emojis.
- 23 emojis in video posts increase the average engagement rate to 4.95%
- 24 emojis are recommended in carousels for the best performance.
- 20 emojis are recommended in image posts for the best performance.
- More people comment on video posts by brand than images.
- Questions are used in 45.7% of Instagram posts, but this doesn’t correlate to an increase of engagement.
- On average Instagram users engage most in the afternoon, particularly 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM.
- The most popular video content is “How-to” tutorials.
- Posts that include a Geo-location receive nearly 80% more engagement than posts that don’t.
- Android users spend approximately 53 minutes each day on the app.
- 71.9% of posts on Instagram are photos
- 14.2% of posts on Instagram are videos.
- 13.9% of posts on Instagram are carousels.
Instagram Ad Stats
- The estimated advertising reach for Instagram users is 849.3 million.
- Influencers can be paid between $100 – $2,085 per post by brand’s.
- Instagram will earn 12.32 billion in ad revenue in 2020.
- The average Cost per click (CPC) is $2.40 per country.
- The average engagement rate per contest post (CP) vs non-contest post (NCP)
- Image: CP 3.58% – NCP 2.40%
- Carousel: CP 3.29% – NCP 2.54%
- Video: CP – 21.98 – NCP 2.04%
- The average engagement rate per giveaway post (GP) vs not giveaway post (NGP)
- Image: GP 3.25% – NGP 2.40%
- Carousel: GP 3.58% – NGP 2.53%
- Video: GP – 2.34 – NGP 2.09%
- 1 in 4 Instagram ads feature video.
Instagram Brand Stats
- On average, brands post 2.5 Stories per week.
- 60% of brand’s use an interactive element each week. These include polling stickers, mentions, music etc.
- Brand Stories have an 85% completion rate.
- 92% of users trust UGC more than traditional ads.
- 81% of users say UGC has influenced their purchase decision.
- Brand’s on Instagram post 11-20 times per month.
- 10 percent of brand post comments take place after 19 days.
- 98% of fashion brands are on Instagram.
- Each month there are 2 million advertisers on Instagram.
- 50% of Instagram users follow a brand online. This is the highest rate of all social media platforms.
- Half of all brands on Instagram have produced at least 1 story.
- 79% brands use Instagram for influencer campaigns, compared to:
Interactions on Instagram Across Different Industries
- Fashion 31.9%
- E-commerce 15.8%
- Beauty 13.7%
- Auto 10.3%
- Retail 9.1%
- Electronics 4.6%
- Services 2.1%
- Sporting goods 2.1%
- Other 10.5%
Most Followed Instagram Accounts
- Christiano Ronaldo – 181.8 million
- Ariana Grande – 163.4 million
- Selena Gomez – 156.1 million
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson – 155.7 million
- Kim Kardashian West – 147.3 million
- Kylie Jenner – 145.4 million
- Beyonce – 132.7 million
- Leo Messi – 129.6 million
- Neymar Jr – 125.1 million
Influencers With the Highest Effectiveness Scores
Socialbakers measure their influencer scores by their effectiveness based on their interactions per 1,000 followers, authenticity, and the strength of their interests.
Most Engaging Instagram Posts
- Netflix carousel of various cast members from different Netflix shows sleeping on set.
- Maybelline’s Brazil account that partnered with influencer @marimaria for the promotion of their product line.
- Netflix’s Season 3 trailer for 13 Reasons Why.
Feel the need for more stats?
Here are some of our previous posts: