30 quick, quotable stats and facts about the social media juggernaut that is Instagram:
- Instagram has 5 million monthly, active Australian users.
- 400 million users worldwide.
- There is a relatively even gender split in global user demographic: 51% male and 49% female.
- 40 billion images have been shared since the platform’s launch.
- On an average day, 80 million photos are shared on the platform, globally.
- 90% of Instagram’s global membership consists of users younger than 35 years of age.
- 60% log in daily, making it the second most engaged social network (after Facebook).
- Average engagement per Instagram post has grown by 416% over two years.
- 97% of engagement on Instagram are Likes.
- 92% of all Instagram posts are photos.
- 50% of Instagram users follow brands!
- Photos generate greater engagement than videos do on Instagram.
- More than 50% of users do not turn sound on for Instagram video (thanks to shorter attention spans and increased mobile use in public to name a few), leading to the rise in popularity of ‘silent videos’ and apps like Boomerang. Watch this space marketers!
- Instagram and Snapchat are Australia’s top two, fastest growing social networks.
- Instagram’s per-follower engagement rate for top brands is 58 times higher than on Facebook and 120 times higher than on Twitter.
- Posts that include another handle gain 56% more engagement.
- Posts with at least one hashtag gain 12.6% more engagement.
- Posts with a location included receive 79% more engagement.
- Marketers investing 40 plus hours per week on social media are 42% more focused on Instagram than those investing 6 or fewer hours a week.
- 72% of marketers in Australia are interested in investing ad budget on Instagram in 2016.
- Ad recall from sponsored posts on Instagram was 2.9 times higher than Nielsen’s norms for online advertising.
- Instagram will bring in $595 million in mobile ad revenues worldwide this year, and $2.81 billion by 2017.
- 48.8% brands, globally, are on Instagram. This is expected to hit 70.7% by 2017.
- Of the world’s top 100 brands, 85% have an Instagram account.
- Top brands on Instagram are seeing a per-follower engagement rate of 4.21%.
- 70% of the most used hashtags are branded.
- 8% of Instagram accounts are allegedly fake, spam-bot accounts and 30% are inactive.
- 50% of comments are made within the first six hours.
- Pizza is the most Instagrammed food, then sushi and then steak.
- More photos are taken every two minutes than were taken in the whole of the 1800s!
Latest posts by Meg Coffey (see all)
- Round Facebook profile photos? New buttons? Facebook is playing… - August 11, 2017
- Facebook likes now displaying as profile photos - September 19, 2016
- 30 Quotable Instagram Stats - August 22, 2016