Get ready to dive into the future of social media with the ultimate list of Instagram statistics that you need to know for 2023.
Instagram has been making waves with the introduction of more shopping options and Reels to the platform, cementing its position as one of the world’s most beloved social media apps.
As social media professionals, staying on top of the latest trends is crucial, which is why we’ve scoured the web and compiled everything we could find into one comprehensive record, complete with sources.
From global reports like the Digital Report to more locally-focused Australian sources, we keep this page regularly updated with the most recent news, so you can stay ahead of the curve.
Discover all the fascinating facts and stats about Instagram that you never knew you needed to know. Trust us, the future of social media is looking bright, and Instagram is leading the way.
General Instagram Stats
- The first photo ever posted to Instagram was of a dog near a taco stand, taken by Instagram co-founder Kevin Systrom.
- Instagram has more than 1 billion users using the app every month.
- The second most downloaded free app in the Apple store is Instagram.
- Instagram is the 4th most-used social media platform in the world.
- Instagram users spend almost as much time on the platform as Facebook users. They browse for an average of 53 minutes per day versus Facebook’s 58 minutes per day.
- Instagram is used by 25% of smartphone users.
- #Love is the most used hashtag on Instagram. It has been used more than 1.7 billion times
- More than 50 billion photos have been shared on the app.
- 71.9% of posts on Instagram are photos.
- 14.2% of posts on Instagram are videos.
- 13.9% of posts on Instagram are carousels.
- Instagram is currently hiding likes for the following 7 countries: Australia, Brazil, Canada, Ireland, Italy, Japan and New Zealand.
- 62% of users log into their account at least once per day.
- 42% of users check their account multiple times per day.
- The Like button is hit 4.2 billion times per day.
- More than 50% of Instagram accounts use Explore to discover new content and new accounts to follow.
- Eighty-three percent of Instagram users discover new products and services on the platform.
- 200 million users check out at least one business profile each day.
- Every month, 130 million Insta users click on shopping posts.
- More than 1 million users watch live video each day.
- Carousels get more organic interactions than both video and images on Instagram.
- The “perfect caption” has less than 10 words and 20 emojis.
- 23 emojis in video posts increase the average engagement rate to 4.95%
- 24 emojis are recommended in carousels for the best performance.
- 20 emojis are recommended in image posts for the best performance.
- More people comment on video posts by brands than images.
- Questions are used in 45.7% of Instagram posts, but this doesn’t correlate to an increase of engagement.
- On average Instagram users engage most in the afternoon, particularly 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM.
- The most popular video content is “How-to” tutorials.
- Posts that include a Geo-location receive nearly 80% more engagement than posts that don’t.
Australian Specific Stats
- In October 2022, Instagram is Australia’s second most-used social media platform.
- 16.2% of 16 to 64 year-olds say Instagram is their favourite social media platform.
- Australian users spend 8.3 hours per month on Instagram.
- Instagram accounts from 6.8% link clicks to third-party sites from social media in Australia.
- 82% of Instagrammers surveyed in Australia say they are open to discovering new brands or products on the platform.
- 91% of Instagrammers in Australia surveyed say they use Instagram to follow an interest.
- 89% said they’ve taken action in the moment when they saw a product/service on Instagram, such as following the brand, visiting their website or making a purchase online.
- The fastest growing place to build brand love, Australians are sharing 1 million Instagram Stories every day.
Instagram User Demographics
- 47.8% of all Instagram users are female while 52.2% are male.
- 31.2% of Instagram users are 25-34-year-olds.
- Out of the 25-34 age group, 16.4% are male and 14.8% are female users.
- 31% of Instagram users are 18-24 years old.
- Out of them, 17.9% are male, while 13.1% are female users.
- There are 123 million Instagram users from the U.S.
- 22.5% of U.S. Instagram users are 25-34 years old.
- 87% of users are outside the U.S.
- 17.6% of the world population uses Instagram.
- 73% of U.S. teens say Instagram is the best way for brands to reach them about new products or promotions.
- Instagram users spend an average of 30 minutes per day on the platform in 2021.
- 25% of U.S. teenagers say Instagram is their preferred social media platform.
- 88% of Instagram users live outside of America.
Instagram Demographics (US)
- 43% of females are on Instagram
- 31% of males are on Instagram
- Percentage of users on Instagram
- 13 – 17 (72%)
- 18 – 29 (67%)
- 30 – 49 (47%)
- 50 – 64 (23%)
- 65+ (8%)
- Locations of users on Instagram
- Urban – 46%
- Suburban – 35%
- Rural – 21%
Countries with highest number of Instagram users as of October 2022
- India – 230.5 million
- USA – 159.75 million
- Brazil – 119.45 million
- Indonesia – 99.15 million
- Russia – 63 million
- Turkey – 52.15 million
- Japan – 46.1 million
- Mexico – 37.85 million
- UK – 31.75 million
- Germany – 29.85 million
Countries with highest number of Instagram users compared to population as of October 2022
- Brunei- 89.0%
- Kazakhstan – 82.7%
- Turkey – 76.5%
- Cyprus – 75.7%
- Cayman Island – 75.5%
- Iceland – 73.8%
- Guam – 72.8%
- Chile – 72.3%
- Sweden – 71.3%
- Uruguay – 71.2%
Instagram Stories Stats
- Instagram stories has 500 million users every day.
- 62% of users say they are more interested in a brand after seeing it in an Instagram Story.
- The heart love sticker is the most used Giphy in Stories.
Instagram Reels Stats
- Ads in Instagram Reels can reach a potential audience of 758.5 million people.
- The advertising audience for Reels is 45.0% female and 55.0% male.
As shared by Marketing Brew from the email exchange with Team Whistle:
- 87% of Gen Z TikTok users who have used Instagram Reels agree with the statement, “Instagram Reels is basically the same as TikTok.”
- Most respondents (daily or weekly) who have used Instagram Reels do not think that TikTok is inherently special.
- 61% of Gen Z TikTok users said they plan to spend more time on Instagram in TikTok’s place.
Instagram Advertising Stats
- The average Instagram engagement rate for all types of posts is 1.94%
- Turkey has the highest advertising reach of 76.0% of it’s 13+ population
- Engagement rate for photos is 0.46%
- Engagement rate for videos is 0.61%
- Engagement rate for carousel posts is 0.62%
- Each month there are 2 million advertisers on Instagram.
- The estimated advertising reach for Instagram users is 1.32 billion.
- Instagram can reach 22.2% of the global population aged 13 years or older.
- 47.8% of Instagram’s ad audience is female, and 52.2% are male.
Instagram Ad Audience Stats
Below is the percentage of Instagram’s ad audience by age and gender.
- 13 – 17 years old
- Female – 4.0%
- Male – 4.7%
- 18 – 24 years old
- Female – 13.5%
- Male – 17.1%
- 25 – 34 years old
- Female – 13.9%
- Male – 16.5%
- 35 – 44 years old
- Female – 7.9%
- Male 7.5%
- 45 – 54 years old
- Female – 4.5%
- Male – 3.8%
- 55 – 64 years old
- Female – 2.4%
- Male – 1.7%
- 65+ years
- Female – 1.4%
- Male – 1.1%
Instagram Business Engagement Benchmarks
- As of October 2022, the average engagement rate for all types of posts is 0.54%.
- The average engagement rate for photos is 0.46%.
- Videos have an average engagement rate of 0.61%.
- Carousel posts have an average engagement rate of 0.62%.
- The average business account has a +0.98% monthly growth in account followers.
- The average business account posts 1.71 times per day in the main feed.
- 48.9% of all main feed posts are photos.
- 19.3% of all main feed posts are carousels.
- 31.8% of all main feed posts are videos.
- The average business account posts 13.1 stories each month.
- Business accounts with less than 10,000 followers perform the best:
- Accounts with less than 10k fans have an average post engagement rate of 0.76%.
- Accounts with between 10k and 100k fans have an average post engagement rate of 0.63%.
- Accounts with more than 100k fans have an average post engagement rate of 0.49%.
- 0.0.6% is the average comments to followers ratio for video posts.
- 0.08% is the average comments to followers ratio for photo posts.
- At a median of 1.60% engagement rate, brands with the highest engagement rates include higher education at 3.96%, nonprofits at 2.40% and sports teams at 2.40%.
Instagram Brand Stats
- 90% of accounts follow at least one business on Instagram
- A significant 67% of marketers plan on increasing their Instagram organic activities over the next 12 months.
- On average, brands post 2.5 stories per week.
- 60% of brands use an interactive element each week. These include polling stickers, mentions, music etc.
- Brand stories have an 85% completion rate.
- According to a survey, 78% say that they see brands on Instagram as popular, 77% as creative, 76% as entertaining and 72% as committed to building community.
- 92% of users trust UGC more than traditional ads.
- 81% of users say UGC has influenced their purchase decision.
- Brands on Instagram post 11-20 times per month.
- 10% of brands post comments take place after 19 days.
- 98% of fashion brands are on Instagram.
- Half of all brands on Instagram have produced at least 1 story.
- Brands on Instagram receive approximately 10 times more engagement than on Facebook.
- Brands can experience 23% less engagement on Facebook for the same image.
- According to surveyed marketers, 89% indicated that Instagram was the most important social media channel for influencer marketing.
- 79% brands use Instagram for influencer campaigns, compared to:
Most Followed Instagram Accounts
- Instagram – 565,000,000
- Christiano Ronaldo – 494,000,000
- Kylie Jenner – 372,000,000
- Lionel Messi – 371,000,000
- Selena Gomez – 355,000,000
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson – 346,000,000
- Ariana Grande – 334,000,000
- Kim Kardashian – 332,000,000
- Beyonce – 279,000,000
- Justin Beiber – 261,000,000
Stats about Hashtags
- If you use just one hashtag on a post, it is going to get 29% more interactions.
- If you use more than 11 hashtags on a post, then you are going to have 79% more interactions.
- Longer hashtags typically include between 21 and 24 characters, and they do better than shorter tags.
- 7/10 hashtags that are on Instagram are brand hashtags.
Most Used Hashtags
- #Love – 2.1 billion
- #InstaGood – 1.4 billion
- #Fashion – 1.0 billion
- #PhotoOfTheDay – 981 million
- #Art – 877 million
- Photography – 852 million
- Instagram – 808 million
- #Beautiful – 786 million
- Nature – 689
- #PicOfTheDay – 688 million
Feel the need for more stats?
Looking for some platform-specific stats? We got you.